Sunday, May 24, 2009

Dinner and a Movie

Taylor, Mensa Boy and I went to Big View Diner last night for supper. It was an early one and I'm very glad. We got there a little after 5 and still waited about 30 minutes. It wasn't a bad wait, though. They took 2 stools at the bar and I stood while Taylor played video games on a countertop console. The woman next to me had a great, citrus-looking drink in a regular glass so finally I asked her what it was. "A margarita," she said. "And it's wonderful!" I like margaritas but I don't drink them very often. They never seem tangy enough to me and often are too sweet. And also usually don't have enough alcohol in them. But this one looked fantastic so I ordered it. It was fabulous. Like limeade with a little kick.

After we hung around for about 25 minutes the manager asked if we'd like to sit at the counter in the diner rather than continue waiting for a table. So we agreed. It was a little awkward, I thought. We were right at the pass for the kitchen and so everyone was bustling back and forth across the window getting food. I worried that watching the food being handled might ruin my appetite, but it didn't. The staff worked well together (there was a guy and a girl working the pass together, assembling plates and doing garnishes) and they were clean and efficient.

Taylor order spaghettini and meatballs that I thought didn't really look that great. But I didn't taste it so I can't really say. The meatballs are made on the premises and they do their own meatloaf so they are probably pretty good. He ate most of it, but left 2 1/2 of the 4 meatballs. That's normal. He's not really my meat eater.

MB had a philly cheesesteak. He said it was good, but I did see him put ketchup on it, which I think someone doesn't do with a really good one. And I had a reuben, which was wonderful! It was stuffed with meat, too much to eat. Good and hot and just the right amount of kraut and sauce.

But the big hit, I thought, was their vinegar potato chips. OH. MY. GOSH! I mean, I'm usually going for fries anytime I can, and normally would sub out chips for fries. But they had a big tub of them on the pass and they looked great so I figured they needed trying. They were absolutely delicious. Just a hint of vinegar and the chips were sliced so thin you could see through them and then fried to perfection.

So I think we'd go back there. I almost suggested them for breakfast yesterday when Rena and I went out, but I'm glad I didn't. They are not open for breakfast yet. I bet they will be wonderful when they do.

After that we met Nate and Erin at the theatre to watch Star Trek. I think I would have enjoyed it more if we were in the back of the theatre, but that's my only negative comment. It's a BIG MOVIE and I think being further back would have helped me take everything in a little more. We loved all the characters and the actors they chose to play the original series characters. They had just enough references to the old series to keep you delighted but not too many. And they left it wide open for more stories. We all agreed that it's time for a new Star Trek series.

THEN we hit Marble Slab Creamery for some ice cream. There was live music on the patio outside the shop so we sat by a fountain while we finished our treats. It was just a nice evening all around.

No comments: