Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Wrestling? What Will I Do Next?

When I started this freelance gig, I was writing food stories for our local newspaper. After a couple of weeks of writing and waiting around for the newspaper photographer to come shoot my food, I bought a little Fuji FinePix F10.

And so the photography thing began.

After a short bit, I was getting requests from the paper to "Run over there and take a photo."
Then it was "Can you write a short bit about that while you are there?"

And so I became an all-around writer/photographer. A lot of school features, then church features, some human interest stories. Then new business introductions. Then they asked me if I'd like to be the reporter/photographer for our school's Cross Country team. I've done that for 2 seasons now.

Last week my editor was telling me that the photographer is going to start taking Wednesdays off for a while. I said "Well, just let me know if I can help pick up the slack with some photography."
"Would you like to shoot the wrestling meet Tuesday night? You should be able to just get in there, take a few shots, and get out."

Sure. Why not?

I was there for almost 2 hours. It was interesting. I had no idea what most of the rules were. But I do know the coach, so he explained a couple of things to me before I started. Just to give me an idea what to look for. This is the best shot I got all night. I wish I had their entire bodies in there, but hey! I tried, right? I doubt I'll do this very much. I get only $10 per photo and they will probably only publish one shot. So $10 for almost 2 hours of my time doesn't really make a lot of sense. But I did enjoy working the camera.

No comments: