Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Product Review: Natural Greens

I'm up to $345 raised for the Komen Foundation! Thank you for your support! There is still time to pledge. The race is Saturday.


naturalgreens
Originally uploaded by Food Fanatic
I've never been a big fan of vitamins and supplements before. I've always eaten a well-balanced diet and never really felt the need to get my daily A B C's from pills. But in the past year I've had suggestions from both my doctor and chiropractor to try a few. My doctor suggested D, Calcium, E, and C. And so I've been taking those off and on for a while. Now I'm committing to taking them every day. My chiropractor suggested an Omega 3, and so I've added Flax Oil. Many people take Fish Oil, and that's fine. But I like Flax.

I can't really say I've had an overwhelming epiphany with any of those that tells me "Wow! MY entire life is better because I take these!" But they are good to do and I'll just keep it up. I do have to say my hair and nails are growing quickly now and also are strong and don't split.

Last week I agreed to try this Chiropractor's Blend Natural Greens supplement. The chiropractor suggested it to help with my sometimes flagging energy levels. Actually, my daily flagging energy levels. Just some days more flagging than others. He knows I won't use any sugar substitutes, and that I am careful about my sugar intake altogether. He suggested this supplement after hearing from a colleague in his office that it's the one supplement his colleague really likes and feels great about.

So, $35 later I went home with this canister of green powder. 1 tablespoon is a dose and there are 30 servings. A little over a buck a day. I add it to my smoothie. It adds a slight sweetness to it, but has no "green" taste to it all.

I've noticed an ENORMOUS difference in my energy levels. This past weekend was an exhausting one, with the culmination of the big festival I've been working on for months. I ran around all day for close to a week in preparation for it, and I can honestly say I felt pretty good all the time. Never even felt the need to nap! The body got a little sored, but my brain was going right along and the body just kept chugging along.

Here is my smoothie recipe. I've been having this for breakfast most days. Note the calories. This is not a snack. It is a meal replacement.

Green Banana Peanut Butter Smoothie
447 calories

1 frozen banana
2 Tablespoons All Natural, no sugar added peanut butter (I use Smucker's)
1 Tablespoon Natural Greens powder
8 ounces vanilla-flavored Soy Milk

Break up the banana into 3 or 4 pieces. Drop in the peanut butter. Sprinkle with greens powder. Pour the milk over top. Allow it to sit for 5 or 10 minutes to soften the banana slightly.

Blend with an immersion blender (I call it the boat motor) until smooth.

This makes a smoothie that is cold and thick...the consistency of an ice cream shake. Drink in right away or pour it into a chilled stainless steel insulated coffee cup that you've reserved for non-coffee drinks. It will stay cold and creamy for an hour or so.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, the green stuff promotes energy, but not nervousness or jitters? I've been using a supplement called SP-Complete. I mix it into smoothies pretty much the way you have described, but it has a very distinct GREEN flavor. Yours sounds better.

Karen said...

Nope. No nervousness or jitters...at least no more than usual! I'm a naturally jittery person!

And it doesn't taste green. I know what you are talking about.

It really has nothing in it that jumps out as a stimulant...no caffeine, no sugar except the Steavia.

I'd really like to get some conversations going about smoothies. I'm still enjoying this banana-peanut butter-soy milk one, but I know someday I'm going to say "I'm tired of this."

So if you have recipes to share, bring them on. I'll post them.

Thanks for commenting!

Steve said...

A banana and peanut-butter smoothie...Hmmm. Have you tried it with mayonnaise and black pepper?

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, nooooo! It appears that the Mayonnaise/Pepper fiend has sniffed out and attempted to modify yet another perfectly good peanut butter recipe!

Next thing you know, he'll be garnishing it with banana medallions!

Karen said...

I will NOT be asking Steve for smoothie recipes.