Friday, February 16, 2007

S.C.U.M.Y

It's going to be a SCUMY weekend for Mensa Boy and our oldest son Nate. They are going to the beach for the South Carolina United Methodist Youth Convention. Preacher Tony boy is going along as a chaperone, too. The youth group at church has really grown. I have no idea how many kids are going, but I know it's in the double digits. Pretty good for a small church like ours.

So Taylor and I are batchin' it this weekend. I bought King Crab Legs for supper as a surprise. I did this a couple of years ago and we had them with neighbor Mary. This year Taylor's buddy Freddy may be with us.

Earlier this week Nate did some job shodowing with a biology professor at the University of South Carolina-Lancaster. He liked it a lot. Didn't come home saying he wanted to teach at the college level, but he did think that whole teaching thing was pretty cool.

My buddy who works for the county picked Nate up that morning and took him to work with her, and then ran him over to the campus at 9:30. During the 40 minutes they were in her office, she had him do a task for him. Stuffing envelopes. Here's what transpired:

"I'm not licking these shut, right?" Nate asked.

"Nope. That's someone else's job," she replied.

"Well, I guess I'm done then. What else would you like me to do?"

"There is nothing else. You should have paced yourself."

"Well, what else do you do all day?"

"Hmmm...at 11 I go pick up the mail." (it was 9 a.m.)

No comments: