Thursday, February 15, 2007

Off, On

School.

It began with the power unceremoniously blinking off at 6:40 a.m. One never knows the extent of an outage until the cold is braved and the neighborhood is scoped out. It was obvious from the start that it involved at least our street...everyone's porch lights were out.

Mensa Boy left for work and when he called a few minutes later I asked if he could tell how far the outage went. "Just past the school," he said. The building had some emergency lights on, and the traffic signals ("red lights" in southern-speak) were out.

Then buddy Rena called. "No school today," she said. "We can take the kids to school but they will sit in the gym until the power comes back on around 10 or so." She said if the kids don't come today they will not be counted absent. She took hers back home.

So I decided to go to the school to pick up Fred, the little guy who comes to my house after school each day. I knew his mother had dropped him at school.

But when I arrived, the lights were back on. Everything back to normal.

So I called Rena. She was just leaving the house and circled back to the get her kids again. I picked mine up and took them to school. Passed Rena at the 4-way stop by our house. She was delayed getting her kids back to the school because she'd already had them change into play clothes. "I told them they could wear those school clothes (uniforms) tomorrow, so to change to play clothes," she said.

So now it's 8:40 and things appear to be back to normal. Except that I appear to have pulled a muscle when I tried to keep the garage door from sliding down on my head.

No comments: