Sunday, August 19, 2007

YUM! For some...


Sugarfreechocicecream
Originally uploaded by Food Fanatic

I made this sugar-free chocolate ice cream for my friend Mike. He's a diabetic and calls his wife "The Sugar Sheriff."

I like doing this for him because he's so appreciative, but it also gives me a chance to experiment with cooking sugar-free stuff for my food stories. This week I did a story on ice cream, so I played with Splenda.

Personally, I think the ice cream was terrible. But I just can't eat or drink stuff with sugar substitutes. I don't have the taste for it and it just doesn't even want to go down my throat. He said it was wonderful. And I think he'd tell me the truth.

Sugar-Free Chocolate Ice Cream
For 1.5 Quart Freezer


1/2 cup Splenda
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 cup whole milk, divided
Dash salt
1 cup half-n-half
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla


Mix together Splenda and cocoa powder. Whisk in 1/2 cup of the whole milk until smooth and powders are completely dissolved. Add remaining ingredients.
Turn on the freezer and pour in the mixture while it’s running. Freeze as directed. Allow to rest 20 minutes before serving.

Recipe courtesy “No Food Left Behind” for The Carolina Gateway

No comments: