Monday, June 18, 2007

Playing with Slooooow Shutter Speeds


GhostNate
Originally uploaded by Food Fanatic
As I slowly learn what some of the different settings are on my camera, I get some kind of cool stuff. A lot of junk too, but that's the advantage of a digital camera.

The main problem I have is that I can't REMEMBER the stuff I learn. So I have a little notebook that lives in my camera bag with cheats about different situations and what kinds of settings to try. Even then I get a lot of wasted shots, so I try to shoot several photos for the paper using "Auto" as a back-up.

So last night Nate was going through many gyrations as I tried several shutter speeds. This is the slowest one. It's a question of endurance, too, as the shutter stays open for a very very long time...like a minute...so he had to keep up the motions for that entire time.



Here is Taylor getting into the act as he sits at his computer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Playing with shutter speeds and f-stops is a lot of fun. Try one with someone going up or down stairs and stopping on each one!

I ran across a cool primer on f-stop and aperture the other day at http://www.worth1000.com/tutorial.asp?sid=161207

Karen said...

Good idea Raymond! Thanks! I'll have to check out that website too.