Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Another Farm Dinner


PastaSquashGoldenBeets
Originally uploaded by Food Fanatic
Last week our meal was inspired by The first fennel of summer in our farm box. Tonight's meal was inspired by the golden beets and green & yellow squash.

And "Fine Cooking" magazine.

Before I left for the farm, I decided to see what Fine Cooking might have about some of the produce I expected to get in my box. Sure enough, this recipe for "Rigatoni with Summer Squash, Spicy Sausage & Goat Cheese" was on page 44 of the July issue.

In my family, any pasta and any sausage goes over big. They are all guys, after all!

The beets were roasted in an open casserole lined with foil. I cut off the tops and bottoms, cleaned off any hanging debris, and placed them in the casserole dish, drizzling them with olive oil. I baked them at 400 for around an hour, took them out, and let them cool.

Right before serving I pulled the skins off the beets, sliced them, and tossed them in a warm skillet with butter.

The pasta dish was simple too. I squeezed hot italian sausage out of its links and browned it in a skillet. Removed that to a plate, and then sauteed shallots and a little more than 2 1/2 cups of diced squash until the squash was just starting to turn translucent. I then tossed everything into a pot of hot, cooked penne pasta (I didn't have rigatoni). Oh, that was a one-pound box of pasta.

After heating it all up again, I removed the pot from the stove and tossed in 4 oz of feta cheese.

We garnished with parmesan at the table and I tossed ribbons of basil from my herb pots on top. (The recipe called for flat-leaf parsley, but I didn' t have that.)

A very satisfying meal. Check out this month's "Fine Cooking." There are other nice pasta recipes in there, all very quick, it appears.

No comments: