Friday, June 24, 2005

Miso Noodle Soup


miso noodle soup
Originally uploaded by
Food Fanatic.

Looks can be deceiving. In fact, even smells can be deceiving. My mouth was watering as I prepared this recipe from Cooking Light Magazine (March 97). But in actual fact, this soup turned out to be very bland-tasting. I had to do a lot of salting. I concede it might have been due in part to the fact that I used a homemade vegetable stock. A stock that I really did not spend the proper amount of time on. I also had trouble making sure the miso was completely blended in. The noodles obstructed my view and, even though I thought I had it all incorporated, I found clumps of miso on my spoon. I may try this recipe again in the future with better stock.

Miso Noodle Soup
1 tsp dark sesame oil
1 tsp minced peeled fresh ginger
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 (14 1/2 oz) cans vegetable broth
2 cups chopped broccoli florets
1 cup diagonally sliced carrots
1 cup vertically sliced onion
1 teaspoon chile paste
2 cups cooked Chinese egg noodles (4 oz uncooked)
1/4 cup white miso

Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add ginger and garlic, saute 1 minute. Add broth, broccoli, carrot, onion and chile paste; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 2 minutes. Stir in noodles and miso; cook 1 minute or until miso is blended.

No comments: