Wednesday, April 06, 2016

First Taste: Anew Riesling


I picked up the Anew Riesling almost without thought the other day. They had this and the Rose on an endcap at Harris Teeter. I'm sorry to say I don't remember the price, but I'm cheap, so I'm pretty sure it would have been less than $12. 

The only thing I looked for was its appellation. It's from the Columbia Valley, Washington, so that's all I needed to know. I'll drink domestic Rieslings from there or Oregon. Otherwise, I'll go with European, Australian or Chilean ones. California Rieslings are awful. 

The main thing about Columbia Valley Rieslings is that they all pretty much taste the same. They all seem to be moderately sweet, with notes of peach. They are good well-chilled, alone or with white meats, seafood or vegetarian dishes. I don't suggest them with cheese. They will work with meat, but really it's a lighter wine for a lighter meal.

I have to say I'm a little disappointed in the vintner for not being entirely truthful in their labeling. This is not actually all Riesling. It's a blend. Riesling is the grape in majority, but there is some Gewurztraminer and Muscat in there, as well. I found this out when I sussed out the website to give you the link. I can definitely see adding the Gewurztraminer for some acid and spiciness, but the Reisling grapes don't need the added sweetness offered by Muscat. 

Oh and also...there is plenty of room to mock the vintner's campaign. They say their wines are "perfect for those seeking balance in their life." 

No comments: