Wednesday, October 10, 2007

I Won't Say I'm Getting Old. I Hate It When People Say That

Monday night I went to dinner and didn't get carded when I ordered my drink. Not unusual, but I did feel sort of odd when the waitress carded Brooke and Kitt.

Today I went to AT&T Wireless to see about getting a new phone for Nate. I didn't get the phone, but I did buy a Bluetooth headset for my phone. I'm having shoulder trouble from talking on the phone (just holding it...not clamping it between my shoulder and ear) and I'm having trouble hearing on my phone. After I completed the transaction, I said to the fellow, "Will I be able to hear better with this thing?"

"Oh yes, ma'am!" he said. "Are you having trouble hearing with your phone?"

"Yes. Many callers sound muffled or garbled," I explained. "Can the tone be adjusted?"

"Let me look at it," he said. He took the phone from me and pushed a couple of buttons. Then he called a number with a recording and handed it back to me. "Is this better?" he asked.

I picked it up and listened to it. "Yes! That's much better!"

"I adjusted the volume," he explained. "You had it on 3. I bumped it up to 5."

(!)


Then I went to Office Depot and tried to slide my card through a spot on the card reader where another box was attached. "Oh, no problem ma'am," the checker said. "Just slide it through that slot. It confuses a lot of people."

So. I went home and took a nap. That's what old people do.

No comments: