Friday, July 13, 2007

A Day of Learning

Yesterday we met my aunt and uncle at the Billy Graham Library in Charlotte for lunch and to tour the exhibits. They were in town for an Elks convention and were about to leave to drive back to Albert Lea, Minnesota.

I learned a few things yesterday:

1. I learned a lot about the BG Library. I can't say that much of the information in there was new to me. I've been exposed to the life and ministry of Mr. Graham quite a bit. But this place is simply stunning. The use of modern technology to tell the story of Christ and the story of this ministry is simply amazing. It's too bad that the media made such a big deal about the talking cow. I barely noticed that.

2. I learned that you should take an auto-focus lens and use your camera strictly on auto settings if you have a chance to see someone you haven't seen for a couple years, and you have only a couple of hours with your subject matter. I took my 50mm lens, which I have to manually focus, and I ended up with quite a few shots that were simply not focused correctly. Largely due to my slow hand at it, but also due to the fact that I was in a low-light situation most of the time, where it is just plain harder to focus.

So, with all that, here at the few (somewhat) useful photos I took yesterday:

MrFox
Jimmy Fox is a bus driver for our school. He actually drives kids from our neighborhood. Not mine anymore...our 'hood is too large now and needs two buses. Anyway, he's a retired minister and loves driving. Ever since the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association moved to Charlotte, Jimmy has wanted to work there in some capacity. This summer his hopes were realized when he was hired part time to drive shuttle buses and golf carts. He is absolutely loving it!

LyleLilaBGLibraryLyleLilaBGLib2
Here are my aunt and uncle in the exhibit areas. See what I mean about focus? I'm disgusted with myself over these. But...you live and learn.

LyleBobBGLibrary
Here is Mensa Boy and my uncle. MB's crystal clear, isn't he? Sheesh. So my uncle...he's an Exhalted Ruler in the Elks. I think that means he's like the president of their lodge or something. They have something like 1600 members in their lodge. I never knew much about the Elks, but they do a ton of charity work. So, like the Rotary, they basically exist to raise money and give it away.

Lila
And finally, my aunt. She's my dad's baby sister...10 years younger than he is. Like my parents, Lyle and Lila love camping. They plan to sell their home when they retire and go on the road fulltime. They'll buy a little house in some state where the taxes are low, and then stop in there whenever they aren't on the road.

No comments: