Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Vegetable Paella


Vegetable Paella
Originally uploaded by
Food Fanatic.

I liked this dish, but it didn't go very far with the family. Later my husband admitted that they all opened the crockpot, said "Ooooh! Vegetable Paella!" and then "argh! Artichokes!"

2 cups converted rice
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped green pepper
1/4 cup chopped, drained oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes (reserve the oil)
1 1/2 Tablespoons sun-dried tomato oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes, undrained and chopped
1 (7.25-ounce) jar roasted red bell peppers, drained and chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans vegetable broth
1 (1/2 gram) package saffron threads (1 teaspoon)
1 (16-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 (14-ounce can quartered artichoke hearts, drained
1 cup frozen green peas

Place first 9 ingredients in a crockpot (3 1/2-qt to 4-qt) set on low.
Combine broth and saffron. Add to crockpot, mixing well. Cover. Cook for 4 hours or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
Stir in chickpeas, artichoke hearts and green peas. Cover and cook another 15 minutes.

Yields 7 2-cup servings

From the "Southern Living Slow Cooker Cookbook"

More notes: I could not find sun-dried tomatoes in oil that weren't pureed. They seemed to all be sold as "sun-dried tomato pesto". So I bought dried ones, reconstituted them, and then used olive oil instead of tomato oil. I probably could have simmer the tomatoes in oil to infuse it, but I didn't have time.

I also was not able to buy "mexican-style stewed tomatoes." So I used Rotelle tomatoes. And lastly, I really think canned vegetable broth is terrible. So I make homemade stock periodically from veggies that are going soft in the fridge, freezing them in 2-cup containers. I used 29 ounces of that instead of canned.

No comments: