Saturday, December 05, 2015

Carolina Bison (and Elk)

Carolina Bison has really made my life, as head cook of the Paulson household, a lot simpler. I have two meat-seekers in my home and they really don't mind my attempts to use something other than big industry's beef, chicken or pork. Carolina Bison has been a hit here when the weekly red meat involves something ground.

Last night we had a simple goulash (macaroni, beef, tomatoes) using Carolina Bison's ground elk. It was fantastic, if a little lean. I usually use 90/10 ground beef in my goulash, but thought I'd try the elk this time instead. Harris Teeter carries Carolina Bison and had it on sale for $8.99 for one pound package. I guess it turns out that goulash really could use a little more fat in it to get that great flavor. I drizzled ghee in mine and that helped quite a bit.

I think the next time I use it, I'll buy a pound of Elk and a pound of their beef (yes, they have bison, beef and elk), mix the two packages together, and then freeze half. That is what you'd do with venison, which is also very lean, so I'm thinking that could be just the ticket.

Incidentally, all three of our grocery stores, Publix, Harris Teeter and Food Lion have carried Carolina Bison. Food Lion has always been a dollar cheaper on it than the other two, so yesterday I went there first. But there was NO SIGN of it anywhere in their meat case! I'm hoping they were just out of it, and not that they've decided to stop carrying it.

No comments: