Saturday, October 10, 2009

Call a Spade a Spade, Why Don't Ya?

I hate props. In anything. Especially in yoga. I like to have my hands empty in life and on the mat. Heck, I don't even like to carry purses! Will I ever be a backpacker? Probably not. That would involve carrying my house on my back. The word "carry" is just not part of my vocabulary. I like to roam through life with my hands swinging free and unencumbered.

I'm only willing to use a strap in yoga because the one I have is cool and soft and just the right length and feels good on my bare feet. It's silk. And yeah, it's helpful at times. But I still only use it when I have to.

So today we were doing extended hand-to-toe pose (Utthita Hasta Padangustasana). Here's a photo. We were using straps to hold our feet up. I did fine standing on the left foot, which is weird because that's the foot that's been bothering me. But I simply could not find my balance on the right foot.

"You could move to a wall," YL said.

"Yes, but you know I'm too stubborn," I said.

"You could let your ego go," she said. (or something to that effect)

Argh. She's right. I do have an ego thing in yoga. I am more flexible and also have quite a bit of strength. When I am unable to do some pose, I'm not likely to admit it.

"You know I hate props," I said.

"Well, girlfriend," she said. "You might as well lose the strap then too!"

yeah yeah yeah. She's right.

DARNIT!

No comments: