Tuesday, June 03, 2008

A Night to Remember

So. The party has ended. The people had all gone home. Mensa Boy and I were tidying up as much as we are willing to, when I said "I think I'll clean the oven."

I checked in there. Nothing had been left. It was dirty, but seemed okay to go. So I shut the door and hit "Clean."

After 20 minutes, black sooty smoke began pouring from the oven vents. Mensa Boy was starting to get extremely nervous and was opening windows and setting up the fan to blow the smoke out the kitchen window.

After another 10 minutes, we started to worry that the smoke was getting thicker and was very acrid. It seemed somewhat toxic. All I could really tell MB was that it would have to burn off. The other alternative would have been to cut power to the kitchen. So we decided to wait a few minutes more.

Finally after a total of about 45 minutes, the smoke seemed to be stopping. But we still had a lot in the air downstairs. And it really reeked pretty bad. I was worried enough that I wondered if we might sustain smoke damage to the furniture.

But the fire/smoke thing turned out to be just the beginning of a series of events that would keep us on edge for a couple of days. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Jenny O. said...

Oh My God, you're like one of those season finales that ends in "To Be Continued." Tell me more!!!

Hope things are ok with the oven/kitchen.

Burkinator said...

C'mon an' tell us already! I'm out of the country, so I can't get the report from Mensa Boy!