Thursday, April 03, 2008

Work, Shop, Sleep

That's about it. I get to the school at 7 a.m. to open the office. I work like a crazy woman all morning, and then go home to walk the dog, maybe eat lunch or maybe take it back to the office, work all afternoon, run some errands, cook supper, and then go to bed.

The body is very slow in adapting to the new lifestyle. Last week were a few painful days, paying the price of a sedentary, desk-bound job. But I've made a point to move around more. Probably the hardest part for me is forcing myself to get up and walk around when I have a pile of tasks on my desk. I tend to stick to something until it's done, not wanting to break off for fear I'll lose momentum. I think I'm figuring it out slowly now.

But I absolutely love the new job. It's great already knowing my coworker's names, and I'm learning students names every day. As a rule, they pretty respectful and very grateful when we are able to help them with transcripts and scholarship information, etc.

I have had a couple of funny incidents. Here is one of them that I wrote to my posse last week:

Three students came into my office and stood respectfully in front of my desk. I looked up and smiled.

"You ask her," one girl said.

"Are you Mrs. Paulson?" the middle girl said.

"Yup. That's me!" I replied.

"We were wondering when you are going to have cheerleading tryouts," she said.

"HUH?" I said.

"Cheerleading tryouts. The lady who had this job before was our cheerleading coach," the middle girl said.

Third student (guy) laughed nervously.

"Oh. I'm pretty sure I'm not your cheerleading coach," I told them. "Trust me. You DON'T want me cheerleading!"

The first girl turned to the others and said, "See? I told you that having a new person here wouldn't necessarily mean she'd do the coaching too!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man, I would pay big money to see you coaching cheerleaders!!!!

Burkinator said...

You should totally write cheers for them! I would pay to hear those cheers!