Thursday, April 12, 2007

Kurt Vonnegut

Kurt Vonnegut has died. It's hard to imagine. The first thing that pops into my mind is a ratty paperback copy of "Breakfast of Champions."

His first novel was published in 1952 ("Player Piano") and his last in 1972 ("Timequake"). The only one I remember reading was "Breakfast" (1973). Just about anyone born between 1940 and now has undoubtably read at least one of his books.

The write-up in today's paper mentions "Dog-eared paperback copies of his books could be found in the back pockets of blue jeans and in dorm rooms on campuses throughout the United States."

How true.

"New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. The more truth we have to work with, the richer we become."
Kurt Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions

1 comment:

Burkinator said...

I'm almost afraid to tell you this, b/c I'm still choking down Look Homeward, Angel, but I've never read Vonnegut.