Thursday, May 29, 2003

Gone to Carolina Archive: Beef & Bok Choy


You can remove me from the running for "Dog Owner of the Year".  I pulled a real "bon-er" yesterday.  Soya wanted to go out. The neighbors cats were out, so I clipped on her tie-out and let her out the back door.  A couple minutes later the kids announced they were all greased up and ready to go to the pool.
So we went.
An hour later...I'm sitting at the pool, reading my book, drinking my ice water, thinking about how the sun was very hot and it dawned on me that I didn't remember letting her back in.  Tried to call the neighbor. No answer.  So I left the kids at the pool (yeah, you can remove me from "Mother of the Year" too) and ran home and there she was...curled up in the tiny spot of shade by the grill.
And NO! I did not do it to pay her back for eating my lambswool duster!
We had a real kickin' supper last night.  Farmer Sammy gave us a recipe for beef and bok choi that a family friend had prepared for them.  Here's the recipe:
1# ground beef
1 medium onion
1 bunch of boc choi (I used 2 bunches of baby bok choi)
garlic (as much as you can get by with)
1 or 2 teaspoons of hot sauce (Texas Pete if you live in the SE)
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire
1 beef boullion (I left this out...I'm too much of a food snob to buy boullion)
Brown the beef, onions, garlic. Add hot sauce and worcestershire (and boullion if using), salt and pepper to taste. Add boc choi and 1 cup water. Simmer until ready to serve.  Pour over rice and add more hot sauce to your liking.
It was a family hit! Made about 8 servings, too. Mensa Boy took a bunch of it for lunch today. That's always a good sign.  He would never criticize my cooking.  But I do know there are basically 3 levels of "liking it" for him:
1. This was good, but let's not have it again. (I'd probably say it really sucked)
2. This was good, we should have it again sometime. (I'd say "it was nice for a change)
3. This was good, I'll take the leftovers for lunch and we could have it every week if possible.
Today is out 21st wedding anniversary. Happy Anniversary, Kreldar!


No comments: